Header Image
Header Image
Course open with full greens in play




(updated 28 July at 05:52)
Royal Association

The first evidence of association between the club and the Royal Family came as early as 1900, when HRH the Prince of Wales (Later Edward VII) played regularly on his visits to Deal. He was later to become President from 1905 - 1907.
King George V accepted the patronage in 1910 and this continued until his death in 1935. Coinciding with this the club assumed the Royal Title on the 24th September 1910.
King George V, together with Edward, Prince of Wales (for a short time Edward VIII), were frequent visitors to Deal during this time. Following the King's death in 1935 and with the start of the war royal involvement subsided, but the Royal title was reconfirmed by King George VI on the 5th September 1949. When Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother became Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports in 1979 an association was born which flourished until her death in 2001.
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, accepted patronage in 2002 and his first function in that role was to hand to the winner the 'Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Cup', which Her Majesty had presented to our President Jack Aisher at Walmer Castle on July 14th 2001.
The Club now looks forward to a long and happy relationship with the Duke of York.

Back to CLUB HISTORY

   

Prince Andrew, Duke of York

King George V

 
HRH the Prince of Wales (Later Edward VII)
 
 
 
 
© Royal Cinque Ports 2011
CLUBView CMS by WEBCreative UK